Welcome to my blog for long-distance running!

If you have visited this blog, chances are, you are a passionate runner, just like me!







In this blog you will find my every-day training regime, including running sessions, biking, callisthenics, preparation for particular races.







Any thoughts, ideas or well-intended and constructive criticism are welcome.







Sonntag, 25. Juli 2010

increase training carefully

A small training thought: I believe it is excellent to take a "break" from intensive marathon prep, to let the body "absorb" all the intensive training. I am planning to do this from Aug 6 - Aug. 11, when I will be in Budapest.
One mistake and cautiousness: the past 3 weeks I did the classic enthusiast's mistake, increasing both mileage (above 120km per week) and intensity (2 LT sessions or 1 LT and fast finish at another session). Consequence: on Saturday I felt my left ankle sore w surges of pain. I followed the mantra, you can prevent almost every injury if you listen to your body. So: on Sat I did 26.5km slowly (that was when I felt the ankle problem). Coming back home, I did RICE: rest, ice, compress, elevate. Of course no biking in the evening! On Sunday my ankle felt much better, but still I kept tension low and did 20km, last 1km faster. afterwards RICE. and in the evening 10km easy. Total for this week: 135km, of which 7km at faster pace at finish.
You could argue that this mileage is too much for a sore ankle, but I have realized that mileage has always been my strongest point. I suspect my body gets much more tired with speedwork, rather than distance. Today is a day off, and I was actually thinking of resting in the evening, no biking. Just relax! This week I will do a loooong run and a tempo session.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen